Environmental sustainability is an important topic for many consumers. A Neilson survey revealed that 81 percent of global respondents feel that companies should help improve the environment. So it’s no surprise that many companies have environmental sustainability initiatives. In fact, in 2018, 86 percent of S&P 500 companies published sustainability or corporate responsibility reports, up from under 20 percent in 2011, according to research conducted by the Governance and Accountability Institute.
One of the ways that companies are looking to meet environmental objectives is through the use of eco-friendly packaging solutions, such as corrugated.
- Corrugated contains recycled content and is recyclable
- Corrugated is renewable
- Corrugated is reusable
- Uncoated corrugated is compostable
Beyond the physical characteristics of corrugated that make it an eco-friendly material, corrugated packaging can be used to further minimize your environmental impact when you work with an environmentally-focused packaging supplier.
Some of the ways your supplier should be assisting you include the following:
- Optimizing Packaging – Eliminating unneeded packaging, while ensuring the product is well protected. Corrugated has a high strength to weight ratio, so when this is combined with tailored solution, it will provide superior product protection. Optimized packaging will also improve truck load utilization.
- Reducing Materials–Designing structures to use appropriate board combinations to reduce the total fiber per carton.
- Reusing Packaging – Maximizing the use of recycled mediums and liners recovered from old corrugated cardboard (OCC) and double-lined kraft (DLK).
- Investing in Certifications – Using sheet suppliers that are certified under the Sustainable Forest Initiative® (SFI) or other certifications adhering to the guidelines promoting sustainable forestry processes.
What we do
Progress Container is dedicated to sustainability, which has been part of our vision and mission statement for almost 50 years.
We demonstrate this:
- Through our certification to the fiber sourcing standard set by the Sustainable Forestry Initiative® (SFI).
- By ensuring our sheet suppliers that are certified under the SFI or other certifications adhering to the guidelines promoting sustainable forestry processes
- By Minimizing waste and unneeded packaging in our designs
- Maximizing the use of recycled mediums and liners