Packaging can have a major impact on consumer buying decisions, so it’s essential to have retail ready packaging that protects and organizes your product, draws attention to it, and highlights your brand and the product’s best features. The right packaging can make the difference between making a sale or watching your competitor make a sale.
What Is Retail Ready Packaging?
Shelf ready retail packaging is secondary packaging that makes your product ready to put on the shelves. While primary packaging is what the consumer will take home with them when they buy the item, it’s the retail packaging that protects products during transit and makes it easy for the retailers to handle store, and stock them.
There are a lot of benefits to using retail-ready packaging:
- Delicate or oddly shaped products can be shipped efficiently in shelf-ready packaging.
- It’s often made of corrugated packaging with a perforated top that’s easy to open.
- Identifying information, including bar codes, are easily accessible to streamline the unloading, storing, and stocking process within the retail facility.
- Retailers can quickly and easily put your product on the shelves, which saves the company time and labor costs.
- The store can maximize space by placing one box behind another, which also makes it easy to restock: instead of placing item by item, the retailer can open a new retail package and put it on the shelf, ensuring it’s always available to the shopper.
- Shelves stay neater and more organized.
- Retail packaging is easily customizable to your brand. Built-in handles make it easier to manage large or heavy boxes.
- These packages are recyclable.
Efficient and Effective Retail Packaging
As with any other packaging and marketing, retail packaging needs to be carefully designed to have the most impact. There are a few key elements that should be considered in a great design:
- Identification: Your product name and information should be clear. Handlers have to know what they’re holding so they can direct it to the right shelf.
- Stocking: It should be easy to store your product and get it on the shelf without hassle, creating an efficient one-touch process for the retail employees.
- Shopping: Your brand can shine through your retail-ready packaging design. Not only should it draw the shopper’s attention, but it should also include the information that makes your product easy to identify. From there, they can easily access the product to put it in their cart.
- Opening: Perforated tops eliminate the need for tools, like a box cutter or scissors, to open the package, and help the retail workers save time.
- Recycling: Corrugated packaging is durable during transit, and it’s easily recyclable to help your company reduce waste.
Progress Container & Display’s Retail Packaging
At Progress Container & Display, we specialize in the design and manufacturing of retail-ready packaging and other packaging solutions. With years of industry experience, we have a clear understanding of what appeals to the consumer, and we combine our design expertise with your brand requirements for attention-grabbing graphics. Our turn-key solutions include fulfillment capabilities, from pre-packed floor displays to kitting projects, pallet displays, and more.
We’re committed to quality control, and we’ve invested heavily in our inspection process and equipment. Our ISO 9001:2015-certified system, including our new Gopfert RDC Evolution, ensures our packaging meets or exceeds your expectations.
Since 1971, we’ve been a trusted packaging partner for clients in a number of industries, including automotive, eCommerce, pharmaceutical, electronics, food and beverage, beauty, pet food, toys, sporting goods, and others.
Contact us to learn more about how we can help take your retail-ready packaging to the next level.
A point of purchase (POP) display is a type of advertising or marketing material located in high traffic areas in retail stores. The displays are typically placed in areas where purchase decisions are made such as checkout areas and action alley’s. POP displays focus on a customer’s in-store experience by bringing attention to specific brands, products, and special offers.
Point of purchase displays is versatile marketing materials designed to attract a customer’s attention to a specific brand or product.
How Do Point of Purchase Displays Work?
A vital manufacturing tool, POP displays work by highlighting a particular product to the customer. Studies show that 70% of purchases are not decided until the shopper is already inside the store, meaning that POP displays are able to play a significant role in encouraging the shopper to opt for one specific product. These displays are highly versatile and available in a range of shapes and sizes.
Benefits of an Effective Point of Purchase Display
There are three significant benefits of utilizing POP displays. These include:
Retailers who utilize permanent POP displays consistently report up to a 23.8% increase in sales. Temporary POP displays result in a slightly lower—but still significant—19% increase in sales.
Increased Impulse Purchasing
The aforementioned increase in revenue is largely driven by higher rates of impulse purchasing. Since the majority of retail purchases are not planned in advance, POP displays are able to heavily influence shoppers to opt for products they may otherwise have overlooked.
Low Cost, High Reward
POP displays are incredibly versatile, enabling them to perform well within any budget. They are quick and affordable to install and result in a noticeable increase in sales.
Different Types of Point of Purchase Displays
The most common types of POP displays are:
- Vendor Shops. An elaborate option that enables vendors—particularly those in the consumer packaged goods industries—to create a section of the store entirely dedicated to one product.
- Freestanding Displays. Generally made from corrugated, temporary freestanding displays offer a versatile way for brands to promote a specific product in an area away from standard shelving.
- Dump Bins. A larger, less organized standalone display designed to promote products that are individually packaged.
- Endcap Displays. Similar in design to freestanding displays, endcap displays are located at the ends of aisles to enable shoppers to see the product without going down the aisle.
- Floor Graphics. Brands will develop creative promotional graphics, which retailers can then display on the floor to encourage customers to seek out the promoted products.
- Shelf Talker. These fairly simple displays consist of signs sticking out from shelving to direct the customer’s eye to a specific product.
Point of Purchase Displays vs. Point of Sale Displays
While they may sound similar, point of purchase displays and point of sale displays are not interchangeable. The distinction comes down to location: Point of sale displays are specifically designed to be installed near the cash register, while POP displays can be found anywhere throughout the store. POP displays provide retailers with slightly more creative freedom, as they can be larger and more versatile than point of sale displays.
Progress Container & Display Point of Purchase Capabilities
At Progress Container & Display, our specialists will work closely with you to design a creative POP display that will strengthen your brand, boost product sales, and create a stronger connection between you and your customer base. We create solutions for clients in almost every industry, including but not limited to:
- Contract packagers
- Food and beverage
- Health and beauty
- Home goods
- Home improvement
- Industrial manufacturers
- Pet food and products
- Consumer packaged goods (CPG) manufacturers
- Produce and perishables
- Poultry and meat processors
- Sporting goods
To learn more about our point of purchase display capabilities, contact us today.